So....this is how my luggage looks like at the moment. I'm a bit overwhelmed at all the things I have to make sure to pack before leaving. According to our Get Set! guide, we'll need to bring a duffel bag full of overnight things for when we attend orientation, but I don't yet have a duffel bag. All of the legalities of air travel is seriously making my head spin.
I've compiled a list so far of things that I consider necessary for Japan. If you want a better overall list of items you should bring to Japan, I found some excellent advice through the following links: here and here

Things to pack:
  • light clothing
  • swim suit
  • a jacket/sweater
  • sandals and walking shoes (of course girls will be bringing all kinds of shoes and clothes to keep up with the incredibly fashionable Japan)
  • toiletries
    • bring deodorant! Japan's weather is notoriously hot and humid in the summer
  • make up
  • straightener and curling iron
  • outlet converter and adapters*
    • Japan's outlets are different from the U.S. as they only have two prongs and relay a lower voltage of 100V as opposed to our 120V
    • *see note below
  • cameras and tripod
    • I'm debating about the tripod....maybe I'll buy a mini one while I'm there
  • first aid kit
  • prescription medicine
  • extra contacts and lens/glasses prescription
  • cold & flu medicine
  • aspirin and Ibuprofen
  • laptop
  • external harddrive
  • towels
    • The hostel I'm staying at doesn't provide towels so I'm only bringing one
  • mini sewing kit
  • small lock and key (to lock my suitcases while staying at the hostel)
  • sun screen
  • bug repellent
  • American snacks**
  • spirals/notebooks and pens for class
  • power strip
  • house slippers
    • will buy these after arriving
  • Japanese Textbooks
    • to study for the placement exam. Or just Japanese notes to make the trip lighter
  • Japanese/English dictionary and phrase book
  • alarm clock
*on the topic of outlet converters, I personally don't feel like a converter is needed at all, just the plug adapters. Japan's voltage is only slightly smaller than the U.S. by 20 volts. With this difference, I think that appliances should work fine, albeit a little less efficiently than normal. On the other hand, if you were using European electronics which have a voltage of around 220V, then a converter would definitely be necessary. 
**We'll be spending half our time in Japan with a host family (more on that later) so it would courteous to consider packing a gift for them before you leave. Normally things like candy are well received.

Initially, I wanted to fit all of my things into one suitcase, but I'm finding that very hard because of things like my camera bag, and hats, and all of my clothes I'd like to wear. So I think I've decided to bring two large suitcases, with the second one filled up only halfway so that I can fill the remainder up with souvenirs. Since I'm flying with United Airlines, we're allowed 2 suitcases to travel with us for free to Japan.

In total, I'll be bringing: 1 backpack, one carry on (duffel bag: fill this with things you ABSOLUTELY can't afford to lose in case your suitcases get delayed, like expensive electronics) (also, please be aware of liquid regulations for carry ons), and 2 suitcases onto the flight.
I'll probably be editing and adding to this list in the remaining days I have left before I leave.

Categories: ,

Leave a Reply